The Manitoba Provincial Nominee Program MPNP nominates eligible candidates for permanent residency in Manitoba.
Streams under the Manitoba PNP
The MNPNP has three streams, namely:
- The Skilled Worker stream
- The International Education Stream
- The Business Investor stream
Manitoba immigration statistics in 2021 by stream
In 2021 Manitoba saw over 6,275 nominations across all programs. This accounted for a 20% increase over the previous year.
The most popular programs, according to the applications received and nominations issued, are as follows:
|Skilled Worker in Manitoba||5,336||4,470|
|Skilled Worker Overseas||2,459||1,489|
Who is eligible under the Manitoba PNP?
The requirements under the different streams of the Manitoba PNP are as follows:
Skilled Worker Stream
The Skilled Worker stream nominates Skilled workers in Manitoba and abroad based on the local labour market requirements. The stream has two pathways with their own eligibility requirements as follows:
Skilled Worker in Manitoba (SWM)
Applicants under this stream must:
- Have ongoing Manitoba employment at a full-time position
- Have a valid work permit
- Temporary foreign workers must provide copies of their valid work permit, a written confirmation that they’ve been employed continuously for at least 6 months, and a job offer letter with details of salary and position.
- International students who graduated from a Manitoba post-secondary educational institution need previous experience working a long-term job for at least 6 months on a valid post-graduation work permit
The program restricts refugee claimants, live-in caregivers, Temporary foreign workers working or residing in a province other than Manitoba, Spouses of Canadian citizens/ permanent residents, individuals refused by the Manitoba PNP within the last 6 months and individuals with active immigration applications in another program.
Skilled Worker Overseas (SWO)
This pathway caters to applicants who can prove an established connection to Manitoba through either:
- The support of family or friends
- Previous education or work experience in the province and
- Receiving an Invitation to Apply directly from the Manitoba PNP
Applicants under this pathway will also be scored based on five factors: Language proficiency, age, work experience, education and adaptability.
International Education Stream
The stream has three pathways: Career Employment Pathway, Graduate Internship Pathway, and International Student Entrepreneur Pilot.
Career Employment Pathway
- Have graduated in the past 3 years from a designated post-secondary institution in Manitoba
- Have a minimum CLB 7 Language proficiency
- Have a full-time job from a Manitoba employer with a valid work permit
- Have funds to meet the Low-income cut-off requirements
- Be residing in Manitoba at the time of application and intend to continue residing there after nomination
Graduate Internship Pathway
- Have completed a Masters’s or doctoral degree in Manitoba within the past 3 years
- Have a minimum CLB 7 language proficiency
- Have completed a valid internship with an eligible industry and research enterprise in Manitoba
- Have enough funds to meet the low-income cut-off requirement
- Be residing in Manitoba at the time of application and intend to continue residing after nomination
International Student Entrepreneur Pilot
This stream allows international students who graduated from Manitoba to pursue entrepreneurship opportunities in the province.
Such candidates must:
- Have a business plan
- Have a minimum CLB level 7 language proficiency
- Complete a full-time post-secondary program in Manitoba
- Be within 21-35 years of age
- Have a valid open work permit or PGWP at the time of application.
- Continuously reside in Manitoba after graduation and intend to continue once nominated
- Meet Low income cut off requirements
Business Investor Stream
The stream caters to qualified business investors and entrepreneurs who want to invest and create businesses in Manitoba. The stream has two pathways, the Entrepreneur and Farm Investor pathways. The requirements for both are as follows:
Applicants must have the following:
- At least 3 years of full-time work experience as an active business owner or in a senior management role
- A minimum CLB level 5
- A minimum Canadian high school equivalent certificate
- Minimum investment of 250,000 CAD for businesses in the Winnipeg Metropolitan region or 150,000 CAD if outside this region
- A Business plan
- A net worth of 500,000 CAD minimum
Farm Investor Pathway
- Have 3 years of farm ownership or operation experience
- Be proficient in either English or French
- Have at least 300,000 CAD in farm business investments
- Conduct a farm business research visit
- Live and participate in the management of their farm business in Manitoba
- Have a net worth of at least 500,000 CAD
While the Manitoba PNP continues to nominate all categories of immigrants, the latest reports suggest the program has started upping its eligibility standards. Many newcomers complain of unfair penalizations based on their history of studying or working in other provinces prior to applying for the Manitoba PNP. According to such reports, points have been deducted from their score on the Nominee program’s points grid- with deductions as high as 200 points in some cases, placing the candidate outside the minimum threshold for selection.
The issue is currently being looked at by the Manitoba Immigration Advisory Council, which is expected to release a statement on the matter soon.
Manitoba is seeing a resurgence in popularity among skilled immigrants. The province, known for its natural beauty, played host to over 6,367 nominated immigrants in 2022 out of a total pool of 13,030 applicants. The number was the highest recorded since the program’s creation and bodes well for the future of the Manitoba Provincial Nominee program.