NOC 4412: Home support workers, housekeepers and related occupations

NOC 4412

The NOC stands for National Occupational Classification. The system identifies and categorizes Canadian jobs/ occupations based on various attributes. The structure of the NOC is revised every ten years, with its latest iteration- the NOC 2021, effective from November 16, 2022. 

The latest version replaces the previous Skill level with a new six-category system based on the level of training, education, experience and responsibilities (TEER) required for the occupation. 

The changes include a five-digit NOC code to replace the previous four-digit system. 

The new TEER Categories 

The current TEER categories and the occupation types under each are as follows: 

TEER category  Occupation type 
TEER 0  Management occupations 
TEER 1  Occupations that may require a university degree 
TEER 2  Occupations that may require 

  • A college diploma 
  • Apprenticeship training 
  • Supervisory occupations 
TEER 3  Occupations requiring 

  • A college diploma 
  • Apprenticeship training 
  • On-the-job training for more than 6 months 
TEER 4  Occupations requiring 

  • A high school diploma 
  • Several weeks of on-the-job training 
TEER 5  Occupations requiring short-term work demonstration and no formal education 


NOC 4412 or NOC 44101 

NOC 4412, under the previous NOC category, denotes Home support workers, housekeepers and related occupations. The category covers Home support workers providing personal care to seniors, disabled persons and convalescent clients within the client’s residence. Housekeepers under this category include those providing housekeeping and other home management duties in private households 

With the updated NOC 2021, Home support workers, caregivers, and related occupations fall under NOC 44101. 

Home Support and caregiver use in Canada 

Statistics Canada reported that over 6% or 921,700 Canadian households used some form of formal home care in 2021. This formal home care can be divided between health and home support, covering anything from nursing, physiotherapy, nutrition, bathing, housekeeping and meal preparation. 

Demand for Home support workers, caregivers and related occupations 

Canada’s rising demand for home support workers and caregivers is due to its ageing population and a growing preference to age at home rather than in care facilities. 

According to a 2022 Statistics Canada report, the number of people aged 65 and above rose 18.3% between 2016 and 2021, reaching the 7 million mark. This represents over 19% or 1 in 5 Canadians in 2021- with the population aged 85 and above set to triple to 2.5 million by 2046. 

This rapidly growing demographic increases the demand for Home care professionals in the Canadian labour market. 

Ipsos placed the figures at 18% for Canadian aged 45 and above who either have help from or know someone getting help from a Personal Support Worker. 

Immigrating to Canada as a Home Support Worker or Caregiver 

Given their vital importance, Home support workers and caregivers under NOC 4412 category can seek permanent residency or a temporary worker status in Canada through one of the following programs 

  • The Home Child Care Provider Pilot 
  • Home Support Worker Pilot 
  • Live-in Caregiver program 

Alternatively, Caregivers seeking temporary work in Canada can apply through the Temporary Foreign Worker Program. 

Immigrating under the NOC 4412 category 

Permanent residency programs for caregivers, such as the Home Child Care Provider and Home Support Worker pilot, have helped nearly 1,600 caregivers and their families become permanent residents since their inception in 2019, with nearly 1,100 becoming permanent residents in 2022 alone. 

Janggoulal Sitlhou

Janggoulal Sitlhou

Janggoulal Sitlhou is a content writer with SettleCanada. He is a Political Sciences graduate and a keen follower of international affairs and contemporary history. He has a background in publishing and regularly dabbles in writing and game development projects. Janggoulal currently writes on issues related to Canadian Immigration.