The Super visa is a travel document that facilitates temporary entry for parents and grandparents of Canadian permanent residents. The initiative was launched in 2011 to allow extended visits for families of Canadian citizens and permanent residents. The move was prompted by Canada’s increasing reliance on immigration and the need to cater to the intrinsic needs of newcomers.
Prior to the introduction of the super visa, relatives of permanent residents could only visit for six months at a time, with the option to apply for an extension for a fee.
Since July 4, 2022, the IRCC has implemented several changes to the Super visa program to attract and retain more immigrants. The duration of visits for super visa holders was increased to 5 years, with a facility to extend it- 2 years at a time. There were also talks to allow international medical insurance companies to insure applicants.
According to their portal, the IRCC issues over 17,000 super visas annually.
Who is eligible for a Super visa?
The requirements for a Super visa are:
- You must be a parent/ grandparent of a citizen or permanent resident of Canada
- Have a signed Letter of invitation from your child or grandchild. This letter must include the following details about the person being invited:
- A complete name
- Date of birth
- An address and telephone number
- The relationship to the inviter
- The purpose of the trip
- The planned duration of the stay
- An address for the visit and information on how you’ll pay for things
- A date by which the invited will leave Canada
- It should also include the following information about the inviter:
- A complete name
- Date of birth
- Canadian address and telephone number
- A job title
- Your legal status in Canada (whether citizen or permanent resident)
- Details of inviters family
- A signed promise to financially support your parents or grandparents, along with proof of income.
- The invited person also needs medical insurance from a Canadian insurance company. The insurance must be:
- Valid for at least a year
- Have $100,000 emergency coverage
- Proof that medical insurance has been paid
How to apply for a Super visa
The requirements and application process for a Super visa can be found on the IRCC portal.
You can apply online with the IRCC Portal.
- The applicant must first create an account and sign in
- The applicant is required to complete an online form and upload the necessary documents
- Pay the required fee to process the application.
What documents are required for the application process and travel
A complete list of all the necessary documents for the application process can be found on the IRCC portal.
- Proof of vaccination
- An ArriveCAN receipt
- A letter of vaccination
- Proof of medical insurance
- Proof that your child/ grandchild meets the low-income cut-off minimum (LICO). It can be:
- A copy of their T4 or T1 Statement for the most recent tax year
- A copy of their job title, description and salary
- Their employment insurance, pension statements, investments etc.
- Proof of relationship:
- Birth certificate
- An official document naming the applicant as a parent or grandparent
- A confirmation of your medical exam
- Proof of payment of medical insurance to a Canadian insurance company
How long is the processing time for Super visas?
The processing times for Super visas vary by country. We list some of the most popular countries and their respective processing times according to the IRCC portal.
- An Indian super visa application will be processed in 48 days
- A China (PR) super visa application will be processed in 109 days
- An application from the Philippines will be processed in 238 days
- A South Korean application will be processed in 94 days
How much does a Super visa cost?
According to the IRCC portal, a Super visa application fee is $100 per person.
Differences between Super visa and multiple entry visitor visas
Both documents allow numerous visits to Canada for ten years.
The significant difference between a Super visa and a visitor visa is the length of your stay in Canada.
- A super visa allows you to stay for up to 5 years per visit.
- A multiple entry Visitor visa allows you to enter Canada multiple times and stay for up to six months on each visit.
To apply for a visitor visa, simply head to the IRCC portal and apply online or through the paper option. The process is virtually the same as a super visa application. The only difference is that there are no requirements to furnish your child or grandchild’s invitation and proof of income.
The Super visa has been a boon for thousands of overseas parents and grandparents who now have a convenient way to visit their children in Canada and stay for extended periods. It addresses human problems like homesickness by bringing families together and gives newcomers more incentive to work or reside in Canada.
We are open to hearing your opinions and experiences with the Canadian Super visa. We encourage you to lend your voice and contribute to helping thousands of newcomers who could benefit from your advice.