New Brunswick has several immigration programs for skilled immigrants who can positively contribute to the local economy. The IRCC assigns an annual allotment of foreign nationals that the program can nominate each year.
These programs are:
- The New Brunswick (NB) Skilled Worker stream
- The NB Express Entry stream
- The NB Entrepreneurial stream
New Brunswick Skilled Worker stream
The program is for skilled foreign workers in Canada or abroad who have the qualifications to contribute to the province’s economy. The program helps NB employers fill positions that cannot be filled by a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.
Applicants must meet the following qualifications to be eligible for this program:
- Intend to reside in the province
- Have at least a year of work experience in the last 5 years
- Have a valid job offer from a New Brunswick-based employer
- Be paid competitive wages
- Be supported by an Employer Information form completed and signed by the employer
Eligible candidates will be picked based on an assessment of various factors, including age, language, education, experience, priority sectors and adaptability. The minimum point required is 60 out of 100.
New Brunswick Express Entry stream
The NB Express Entry stream issues ‘Invitations to Apply’ to candidates already in the Federal Express Entry pool. Eligible candidates can enter through either the NB Employment connection, the NB Student connection or the NB Occupations in Demand Connection.
Candidates must have an Express Entry profile to be eligible under this stream while also meeting other qualifications such as:
- An intention to reside in New Brunswick
- Having enough funds to support themselves and their family
- Meeting the requirements of their NOC TEER 0,1,2,3 occupation
- Having a valid job offer from an employer in New Brunswick
- Meet all requirements for Permanent Residency
Candidates who satisfy these conditions are assigned scores based on age, language, education, experience, offers and adaptability. Candidates need at least 67 out of 100 points to be considered.
New Brunswick Entrepreneurial Stream
The NB Entrepreneurial stream is an economic immigration pathway for foreign entrepreneurs with the experience and funds to establish, operate and manage a business in New Brunswick.
Foreign entrepreneurs must meet the following requirements to be eligible under this stream:
- The business must economically benefit the province
- The candidate must have at least 33.33% ownership along with an active senior management role
- Priority will be given to business plans that create the most economic benefit in the form of increased value added to manufacturing and processing in the province, enhanced Research and development etc.
- The candidate must make a business investment of at least CAD 250,000 before tax
- The business must create at least 2 full-time jobs for PR and citizens in the province
- The business must pay income tax on taxable income and comply with all provincial and federal legislation
- The candidate must intend to reside in New Brunswick after nomination
About Immigration to New Brunswick
In 2022, New Brunswick passed the 800,000 mark, with its population growing by over 40,000 in the past five years. The rising population reflects increasing economic opportunities and is indicative of a successful recovery from the COVID pandemic.