The 2022 edition of the British Columbia Labour Market Outlook forecasts employment in the province to break the 3.1 million mark by 2032 with a growth rate of 1.3% a year.
The report predicts over one million (1,017,000) job openings between 2022 and 2032, with most projected to come from Health care and social assistance (149,700 openings), Professional, scientific and technical services (148,000), Retail trade (115,500), Construction (72,700) and Educational services (64,500).
47% of these openings are expected to be filled by young people entering the job market, 38% by newcomers and immigrants moving to Canada, and 8% by migrants from other Canadian provinces. This is good news for skilled and qualified immigrants who will find themselves in high demand over the coming years.
High Opportunity Occupations
High-opportunity occupations are expected to experience comparatively higher demand and offer increased pay. They are assessed according to available job openings/ opportunities, the ease of getting a job in the future, the ease of getting a job now or the recent unemployment rate, and the current wage rate.
Below are some high-opportunity jobs for the next ten years, according to Work BC:
- Registered Nurses and Registered Psychiatric Nurses (NOC 3012)
- Registered nurses and Psychiatric nurses work in hospitals, long-term care facilities, schools, and clinics to provide nursing care to patients, clients, people with mental health issues and those in long-term care.
- The report expects 22,080 job openings in BC between 2022-32.
- Retail and Wholesale Trade Managers (NOC 0621)
- A Trade manager’s job is to plan, direct and evaluate the operations of businesses selling goods/ services at a retail or wholesale level.
- 21,810 job openings are expected between 2022-2032.
- Administrative Officers (NOC 1221)
- An Administrative officer reviews, oversees and conducts office procedures involved in running a business or organization.
- 19,550 job openings are expected for this occupation between 2022-2032.
- Nurse Aides, Orderlies and Patient Service Associates (NOC 3413)
- Healthcare assistants work with and assist nurses, doctors and hospital staff in the basic care of patients.
- There are 18,330 new job openings expected between 2022-2032.
- Retail Sales Supervisors (NOC 6211)
- Retail sales supervisors work in stores, retail outlets and rental services, overseeing or coordinating cashiers, salespeople and clerks.
- There are 14,690 job openings expected between 2022-2032
- Computer Programmers and Interactive Media Developers NOC 2174
- These professionals write, edit, integrate and test computer code.
- The report forecasts over 13,480 job openings in this sector between 2022-2032.
- Early childhood educators and Assistants NOC 4212
- Early childhood educators work with young children from birth to age five.
- There are a projected 12,410 job openings between 2022-2032.
- Financial Auditors and Accountants NOC 1111
- Financial auditors and accountants organize, review and manage financial records and transactions for clients.
- The report projects 11,620 job openings for this line between 2022-2032
- Software Engineers and Designers NOC 2173
- Software engineers and designers research, design, test and maintain software applications, environments, Operating systems, software etc.
- There are a projected 9,980 job openings between 2022-2032.
- Home Building and Renovation Managers NOC 0712
- Home building and renovation managers plan, organize, lead and review work on residential buildings and related construction projects.
- The occupation will have 9,830 job openings between 2022-2032
- Accounting Technicians and Bookkeepers NOC 1311
- Accounting technicians and bookkeepers are responsible for managing the day-to-day financial records of a business.
- There are 9,520 job openings projected between 2022-2032.
- Restaurant and Food Service Managers NOC 0631
- They are responsible for planning, organizing and running restaurants, bars, cafeterias and other food and beverage establishments.
- The profession has 8,890 new job openings projected between 2022-2032.
- Computer and Information Systems Managers NOC 0213
- They plan and oversee computer and information systems, including telecommunication software and networks for the private and public sectors.
- There are 8,550 job openings projected for 2022-2032.
- User Support Technicians NOC 2282
- User support technicians provide technical support to users facing difficulties with different types of hardware, software and applications.
- There are 8,320 job openings projected for 2022-2032.
- Construction Managers NOC 0711
- They plan, organize, lead and evaluate the activities of a construction company, department or project.
- The occupation has 8,150 openings projected for 2022-2032.
- Senior Managers- Financial, Communications and Other Business Services NOC 0013
- These leadership positions create and dictate an organization’s goals while developing and approving policies and programs for their departments.
- There are a projected 6,700 job openings projected for 2022-2032.
- Automotive Service Technicians, Truck and Bus mechanics NOC 7321
- This includes service technicians and mechanics who inspect, diagnose, repair and service automobiles.
- There are a projected 6,670 job openings in 2022-2032.
- Graphic Designers and Illustrators NOC 5241
- Graphic designers and illustrators work on digital images and art that may be used for websites, advertising, branding and marketing, among other applications.
- The sector has over 6,100 job openings projected for 2022-2032.
- Hairstylists and Barbers NOC 6341
- This includes cutting, the styling of hair and related services.
- There are 5,850 projected job openings for 2022-2032.
British Columbia has openings for a wide range of occupations from different sectors requiring anything from a high school education, apprenticeship, degree or diploma. The job market and the opportunities available here will continue to attract qualified newcomers and cement its reputation as a business and cultural hotspot.