The Tourist or visitor visa is a mandatory travel document that facilitates entry into Canada. It authorizes the holder to a temporary stay in the country for reasons not limited to work, visits to family, studies or as a tourist. The visa is temporary and remains valid for up to six months.
Like all countries, Canada has eligibility requirements that all applicants must fulfil before applying for a visa. These include conditions related to health, criminal record and having adequate finances to support their stay in Canada.
While most of these conditions are clear-cut, the IRCC does not explicitly mention any specific amount that qualifies an applicant for this visa. The article will attempt to debunk what is “enough” money to overcome this barrier and how you can prepare for it.
What are the requirements for a Canadian tourist visa?
The IRCC states that applicants for a visitor visa must:
- Have a passport or other valid travel document
- Be in good health
- Be a law-abiding individual and have no criminal or immigration-related convictions
- Not be a risk to the security of Canada
- Not intend to work or study in Canada unless authorized
- Convince an immigration official that they have ties that will take them back to their home country
- Convince an immigration official that they will return at the end of the visit
- Have a healthy bank balance with enough money to support their stay in Canada.
What documents are needed for a Canadian tourist visa?
Tourists may need the following documents when applying for a visitor visa:
- Travel history- this can be a clear copy of previous passports/ visas, entry and exit stamps, study/ work permits and expired or valid visas.
- Itinerary- details of your planned stay in Canada, including flight details, hotel reservations and registration for an event.
- Account statement- Bank name and contact, account details with account details and balance of the past six months.
- Identity documents- A passport- regular, official or diplomatic.
- Family information- through a completed IMM 5645 form.
- Minor children- authorization letter for any minor child travelling with the applicant and other applicable documents like adoption papers, custody decree etc.
How much money do you need to apply for a Canadian visitor visa from India?
As of January 2023, the application for a Canadian visitor visa will set you back by CAD 100 or approximately 6,149 INR.
Apart from this application fee, the applicant will also require proof of funds, showing they have the means to support themselves for their stay in Canada.
How to show you can support yourself financially during your stay in Canada?
The amount needed to support yourself in Canada will depend on the duration of your stay, accommodations, additional travel and other planned items in your itinerary. The IRCC will judge your finances on a case-by-case basis.
The safest practice is having a healthy bank account with regular transactions over the past year and enough balance to cover all your planned expenses and small unforeseen expenditures.
What is the IRCC policy?
We’ll outline the IRCC’s policy and guidelines on proof of funds/ financial support to give you a better idea of the assessment procedure and the documents that can be used as evidence.
What constitutes evidence that a Temporary visitor can support themselves?
Evidence can be one of the following:
- Cash, certified cheque, bank draft or money order in an amount large enough to cover all reasonable expenses during the stay in Canada.
- Confirmed verbal or written statements that satisfy an officer that financial support from friends/ family is available and has been arranged to cover all expenses incurred in Canada.
What documents are used to assess financial resources?
IRCC officials may use a combination of the listed documents to assess your financial resources:
- Bank statements or deposit books
- Letter of employment with the name of employer, applicant’s position, official dates and earnings
- The hosts or Canadian family’s evidence of income, including a Notice of Assessment from Revenue Canada, or a letter from the employer with position, official dates and earnings
- Evidence of the size of the family of the Canadian hosts or family members.
IRCC officials can also use their discretion to limit or waive routine requirements for documentary evidence if you have a credible financial history.
What is the processing time for a Canadian Visitor visa application from India?
A visitor visa application from India typically has a processing time of 141 days.
When visiting Canada, the simplest solution to the bank balance question is to prepare and stick to a budget. Make sure you can meet all the expenses with something to spare for emergencies. Erratic transactions for the sake of obtaining a tourist visa will set off alarm bells. You’re better off showing a constant record of transactions, and a healthy balance maintained over the past year.