Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA) is an online authorization system that allows eligible foreign nationals to apply and obtain authorization to enter a country. An ETA is an electronic document that links electronically to the individual’s passport and provides authorization to travel to and enter a country for a specific period of time.
The ETA system is often used by countries as a security measure to screen travelers before they arrive in the country. It allows the authorities to assess the risks of allowing individuals into the country and to deny entry to anyone who poses a potential security threat.
The application process for an ETA typically involves filling out an online application form, providing personal information such as name, address, and passport details, and paying a fee. The application is then processed by the authorities, and if approved, the ETA is issued electronically and linked to the individual’s passport.
ETA is not a visa. It’s a separate travel authorization that allows eligible foreign nationals to enter a country for a specific period of time, usually for tourism or business purposes.
Who Needs an eTA Canada
Foreign nationals who are visa-exempt and are planning to travel to Canada by air need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) before they can board their flight.
Citizens of countries that require a visa to enter Canada, such as China or India, are not eligible for an eTA and must apply for a visa instead.
Some of the countries whose citizens require an eTA to travel to Canada include:
- New Zealand
- South Korea
- United Kingdom
The individuals who are not eligible for an eTA, such as those who have a criminal record or pose a security risk, may not be allowed to enter Canada even if they have a valid eTA. It’s recommended to check the Government of Canada’s website for the latest information on travel requirements and eligibility for an eTA.
eTA Exemptions Canada
There are some exemptions to the requirement to have an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to travel to Canada by air. The following individuals are exempt from the eTA requirement:
- Canadian citizens, including dual citizens, and permanent residents
- U.S. citizens
- Individuals with a valid Canadian visa
- Individuals traveling to Canada by land or sea
- Diplomats, consular officers, representatives of international organizations, and their family members
- Foreign nationals in transit through Canada who will be in Canada for less than 48 hours
- French citizens who reside in and are traveling from Saint Pierre and Miquelon
- Individuals who have a valid Temporary Resident Permit (TRP) issued by the Government of Canada
- Crew members of a means of transportation who are foreign nationals seeking to enter Canada solely to carry out their duties as crew
- Protected persons, such as refugees or individuals who have been granted asylum in Canada
It’s important to note that even if someone is exempt from the eTA requirement, they may still be subject to other requirements, such as having a valid passport, visa, or other travel documents. It’s recommended to check the Government of Canada’s website for the latest information on travel requirements and exemptions.
How to Apply for an eTA canada
To apply for an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) for Canada, follow these steps:
- Check your eligibility: Before applying for an eTA, check if you are eligible for it. You can visit the Government of Canada’s website to see if your country is eligible and if you meet the other criteria for an eTA.
- Gather the required documents: You will need a valid passport, a credit card to pay the eTA fee, and an email address to receive updates about your application.
- Fill out the application form: Go to the Government of Canada’s website and fill out the eTA application form. You will need to provide personal information such as your name, date of birth, and passport details. You will also need to answer some questions about your health and criminal history.
- Pay the eTA fee: Once you have submitted your application, you will need to pay the eTA fee using a credit card. The fee is non-refundable, even if your application is denied.
- Submit your application: After you have paid the fee, submit your application. You should receive a confirmation email with your application number.
- Wait for processing: Your eTA application will be processed within a few minutes to a few days, depending on the volume of applications. If your application is approved, you will receive an email with your eTA number. If it is not approved, you may need to apply for a visa instead.
Note : Apply for an eTA well in advance of your trip to Canada to allow for processing time. It’s also recommended to double-check the information you provide on your application to avoid any errors or delays in processing.